Tales from Ernie's Disposal (series)

The place to discuss anything off Topic. No sexually explicit subject matter, links, or pictures please.

Tales from Ernie's Disposal (series)

Postby ArtfanMan on March 16th, 2011, 8:51 pm

Hey guys, it's been a long time huh? Well proud to be back with something I think all of you will enjoy!

So let me ask you a question, how many of you grew up watching The Brave Little Toaster? I'm guessing most of you, I mean that movie has a message that all of you here agree with and honor. That message is to appreciate your material possessions, treat them with respect because they do a lot for you that most of time you take for granted. If something breaks, try to fix it, resist the urge to just throw it out and get a new one.

I'm proud to say I'm one of those people who grew up with this movie. Used to watch it all the time when I was little over at my grandma's house. While I loved the whole movie, at that young age most of its symbolism and everything flew right over my head. But something that never changed was how big an impact that last scene at Ernie's Disposal left. I remember I used to fast forward through the movie just to hear the song "Worthless" and then after I heard it I'd rewind and listen to it again! I was fascinated by it.. and remember these were the days of VHS.. no scene selection. XD

Well I've been going through kind of a 'first quarter of life crisis' if maybe you can call it that? But it's not really a crisis, I'm just really getting nostalgic about things that I used to really like as a kid. I recently started doing a small series related to the cars in the song "Worthless" as tribute to my old fascination with the scene. The pictures can be seen below, granted there is a lot of writing about them, but you dont HAVE to read it all, just enjoy the pictures and I think the message behind them will be clear. ;)

(From here on, everything is pasted from my 'Artist's Description' on DA)

Surfer's 'Woodie' Station-wagon (Fan spectulated to be: 1939 Ford Deluxe Woodie Wagon)

(Below is my interpretation of this ol' girl back in her prime:)

"Once drove a surfer to sunset
There were bikinis and buns, there were weenies
The Ladies just couldn't forget
Pico, let's go up to Zuma
Pico, let's go up to Zuma
From Zuma to Yuma, the rumor
Was I had a hand in the way of the land
Get up and go hit the highway"

Weather intentional or not, I don't think it was, the Stationwagon sounds almost exactly like the artist 'Faith Hill!!' and to make it even more interesting, I first noticed this while listening to her song "Sunshine & Summertime" which is about partying and surfing at the beach. This isn't unusual in the movie though, there are several 'apparent' celebrity impersonations, Dolly Parton, Jack Nicholson, Peter Lory, Little Richard..ect.. but I'm not sure that Faith Hill was really that famous in 1988 to have a cameo XD so I'm going with that it's my own mind.

Here's a comparison for you guys please check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UfsEj7AOGI=m4s28#t=4m28s
&
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPySUgIplXw

So here's my little message here I guess. If you listen to Faith Hill's song, it isn't hard to connect it with the car character especially since it sounds just like her too. I find myself thinking "wow, maybe this could have been that Stationwagon back in the 1960s before she got wrecked, back when her and her "master" would drive to the closest beach can have some fun in the sun over the weekend. Back when she thought it would always be this way and those sunny days would never end. <: /

I don't know if I'm the only one who feels this way, but it makes me kinda sad thinking about how all the cars, heck anything people make, inevitably are fated to be thrown away and forgotten. Growing up with this movie, with the idea that what if they might be alive in some way, it makes it even sadder to me. I mean, this thing serves you reliably for years and what is it's reward for that loyalty? Ya know?.. Especially when thought about with the context of this movie where the 'things' feel horrible if they aren't of use to anyone...

I drew this as kind of my interpretation of maybe what that old Stationwagon's life might have been like in the period before the movie. With the help of lyrics from both songs I was able to paint, I think, a pretty accurate picture of her life. In the song she mentions heading out to Zuma which is a beach in California, so I pulled up pictures of Zuma on Google for background reference. I unfortunately couldn't find a space to get hotdogs in the picture haha.. but I did get the whole surfing scene down. Observant watchers will see that I've made sure the large orange surf-board that she was eventually abandoned with is in the scene too.

I wanted the picture to easily be seen as in the same universe as the movie, so I tried to copy the animation style as best I could. This included how the humans looked, how the backgrounds are shaded and the characters aren't, stuff like that. The people I'm surprised came out as good as they did, additively I didn't really want to draw them haha.. but I knew that a big PART of the message here ARE the people. These people were her family, one of them was her "master." But yeah, I mean besides the pain of being abandoned, I'm sure she would have missed these people in her life just as much and that's PART of the story here.. that's why I made myself draw them in! It's interesting, the last thing she says "Get up and go hit the highway" which I could interpret as one of her memories, maybe one of her master's friends (Pico?) suggesting that they do that. Maybe on their way to Yuma on the highway is where she got in her fatal accident..

Of interesting note, I didn't even think about it till later in drawing, but if this is the BLT universe that means that radio (which I could totally imagine playing 'Surfin' USA' [link])on top of the Satationwagon's roof is alive too. XD EVERYTHING IS ALIVE!

Drifter's Muscle Car (Fan spectulated to be: 1970 Plymouth Superbird OR 1966 Corvette Stingray)

(Below is my interpretation of this guy back in his prime:)

I come from KC, Missouri
And I got my kicks out on Route 66
Every truck stop from Butte to MO
Motown to Old Alabama
From Texarkana and east of Savannah
From Tampa to old Kokomo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UfsEj7AOGI#t=2m27s

Like I mentioned in the last picture, the surfer wagon wasn't originally my favorite of the bunch, this guy actually was. I think all little boys, weather you're into cars or not, instantly think sports cars are awesome. He's all fire engine red, loud, impressive looking, plus I think the fact that in the movie his hood i up makes him cool.. engines are cool. ;)

Like with the surfer wagon, I chose a song to accompany the character to help me get a feeling for his personality and story.. or help me formulate a story. For the Superbird here, I chose "The Midnight Riders" the fictional band from Left 4 Dead. XD

Midnight Ride - (The song from the prime of his life) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ApJ5NsM6CI

Save Me Some Sugar - (His swan song) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA_hb2pMRhU

While still a sad story, death is generally sad no matter what, I don't personally feel that the Superbird's story is quite as sad as the Surfer Wagon's. In contrast, the Surfer Wagon in my story for her, took being abandoned very hard (I might be able to show that better if I ever make my mini-comic I have planned) However its interesting because during the song the Superbird doesn't seem to be all that upset, in fact all of his lyrics are almost just bragging about where he's been rather then being about past memories or days gone by. I've seen many people online describing the lifestyle he describes being that of a drifter and that the Superbird himself shared this owners passion for the road as well. For our foreign friends, here's the description: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drifter_%28person%29

While looking at his wrecked state, he doesn't seem to have been in any major wreck, though it does look like at some point he was rear-ended as his back end is all crushed up. This could also be what removed his signature Superbird spoiler, if he ever had one. No, what it looks like to me is he was simply driven to death, he was on the road so much that his engine merely went out early (he was probably around 10 years old when he was junked) I think this is supported by the fact that his hood is up, suggests engine problems. All other things, busted rear end, various dents, busted raising headlight, were probably just little failures he got through life, his owner either not having the money or caring to fix them. In the movie all of his axles appear to be broken, but this could have very well happened when he arrived at the junk yard, when the magnet plunked him down into the car-pile.

This personality reminds me of a kid I once knew in school. He had this rough philosophy "party hearty and die young." He told me he was the youngest person in the city hospital to come in with a heart attack..having drank 12 Rockstar drinks in one night. XD I feel like this is how this Superbird lived, he loved the open road, adventure, driving fast, and pushing his limits. Then when the end finally came, he was content that he'd lived a short but very full life.. probably seeing more places then most cars twice his age.

Originally I was going to have his owner be a crazy haired scruffy man. But then when I decided to have his swan-song being "Save Me Some Sugar" I changed it to a lady to make sense with the song. The first few lyrics "sweet Georgia fades away" would refer to his owner's name as Georgia in this case, rather then the state that it's really talking about. But I like this, it kinda breaks the stereotype having a woman driving a muscle car.

Using the song as a story of the end of his life, his engine finally gives out somewhere on the road. Failing to fix him or having the money to get him fixed, his owner has the tow-truck take him away. He watches he 'fade away' down the long flat route 66. The tragic part though is he initially believes nothing's seriously wrong with him and that he'll "be burnin' down Louisiana by the very next day" but it's not till he's finally dumped and forgotten at Ernie's Disposal that he stubbornly begins to accept that he wont see the road ever again. : ( But he still keeps his "sweet Georgia" in his memory stating "part of you I'll take with me, but most I'll leave behind." That then ends this story, and you know final ending if you've seen the movie.

I'll just talk about the drawing stuff here real quick. I've actually managed to copy the art style of the movie closer here then in the last drawing. In the last one I made the mistake of adding outlines to the background, but in reality it should look like tihs picture, with only characters having outlines. ;)

BTW: I'm totally open to doing one of these things for one of the other cars from the movie. That is if I get enough requests from you guys, so go ahead and let me know if you guys have a request. : )
I'm currently open to drawing requests, just PM me. ;)

Christine offers all of you some words of encouragement in your own Fury restoration projects:
ArtfanMan
Elite Golden Commando CCC Member

Medals: 6
Happy Birthday Medal (1) CCC Post Content Award (1) Club Contribution Award (1) CCC Achievment Award! (1)
5 Star General's Award (1) Darnell Turd Polishers Award (1)

Re: Tales from Ernie's Disposal (series)

Postby Christinefury on March 16th, 2011, 10:52 pm

Not sure of a request but I really like everything you have done here and thought of what might have happened to these cars before getting sent away as well as setting music to their moods at those times, great work.
Christinefury

Medals: 3
Happy Birthday Medal (1) CCC Post Content Award (1) Club Contribution Award (1)

Postby Ben on March 17th, 2011, 7:51 am

This is great Ian! I think your drawings completly fit the mood of the car´s líves. Makes me feel good to restore my car :)

I´m just wondering if they actually ever crushed Superbirds? I mean, these cars are so rare, even were back then!

Interesting link:
http://www.carsinbarns.com/Superbirds%20&%20Daytonas/index.htm
Sorry for my English, I'm still having problems with grammar sometimes but I'm doing my best.

Check out my YouTube account => Save Old Cars.

Sir Ben The Brave

Never surrender

Ever get the feeling you can't go on
Just remember whose side it is that you're on
You've got friends with you till the end
If you're ever in a tough situation
We'll be there with no hesitation
Brotherhood's our rule we cannot bend
Ben
German Chapter Leader
Knights Order Of The CCC
Knights Order Of The CCC

Highscores: 8
Medals: 7
Happy Birthday Medal (1) CCC Post Content Award (1) Club Contribution Award (1) CCC Customization Award (1)
5 Star General's Award (1) Darnell Turd Polishers Award (1) Attendance Blowout 2010 (1)

Postby 58plym on March 17th, 2011, 8:06 am

First of all Ian I can't remember if they were any toasters when I was a kid but you know if that was on TV when I was growing up I would have watched it. I love it. Did you do these drawings. If so it is hard to believe I know somebody with this kind of talent. :D

SIR ROBERT THE WISE..... FIRST KNIGHT OF THE CCC
58plym
Knights Order Of The CCC III

Medals: 14
Happy Birthday Medal (1) CCC Post Content Award (1) CCC Member Of the Year 2009 (1) Club Contribution Award (1)
CCC Customization Award (1) 2009 Fund Raiser Contributor (1) Religious Dedication Award (1) CCC Achievment Award! (1)
Darnell Turd Polishers Award (1) Medal Mania Medal (1) Attendance Blowout 2010 (1) Aussie Victory Medal (1)
6 Star Generals Award (1) Big Block (1)

Postby ArtfanMan on March 17th, 2011, 8:58 pm

Christinefury wrote:Not sure of a request but I really like everything you have done here and thought of what might have happened to these cars before getting sent away as well as setting music to their moods at those times, great work.

Thanks a lot Chrissy Fury, now that's what I call a constructive comment! While I'm open to requests, and you're still free to make one if you think of one, I actually already know which one I'm doing next. That poor little pink 50's convertible, the second car into the song. Fans speculate its a 1955 Crown Victoria, but like the other cars they seem to by hybrids of parts from many different cars. It's cool that you took time to listen to the songs too, you're awesome. ^^

Ben wrote:This is great Ian! I think your drawings completly fit the mood of the car´s líves. Makes me feel good to restore my car :)

I´m just wondering if they actually ever crushed Superbirds? I mean, these cars are so rare, even were back then!

Interesting link:
http://www.carsinbarns.com/Superbirds%20&%20Daytonas/index.htm

I'm glad Ben, if anything I wanna encourage the work your doing, you're a life-saver man. I mean, at least to me, I've gone through kind of a spiritual beliefs change recently, I guess you could say I believe in object spirits now? That all things, natural and built have a spirit or at least an energy or aura. I'm not saying for definite they're sentient or self aware, but still 'alive'.. to me anyway. The fact that you're saving these cars from a death sentence really means a lot to me Ben. <: ) If only, I wish I could help you!

Dunno man, I really dont. As much as I hate it, rare or not it's just a type of car.. and cars are crushed all the time. I could imagine there being some pretty arrogant junkyard owners out there that dont care HOW rare a car is, to them it's just a "turd." But yeah, somone on the video said Superbirds go for around like 80,000 to 300,000 :shock:

58plym wrote:First of all Ian I can't remember if they were any toasters when I was a kid but you know if that was on TV when I was growing up I would have watched it. I love it. Did you do these drawings. If so it is hard to believe I know somebody with this kind of talent. :D

I´m just wondering if they actually ever crushed Superbirds? I mean, these cars are so rare, even were back then! [/quote]

I'm sorry Plym, but your old man comment kinda confuses me. Are you joking? Or do you seriously mean there weren't toasters when you were a kid?! When did they invent toasters?! :? Or do you mean the movie? It's not called just "toaster" it's called "the BRAVE little toaster" it came out in 1987.

Only the last part of the movie in the junkyard really has much to do about cars, the rest focuses more on appliances. But it's not too late for you to watch it, and in fact if you did I'd love to hear what you thought about it. <: D Of course I drew those drawings silly, why would I post up someone else's art? ^^ If you're ok watching a movie at your computer desk and have about an hour to kill, you can watch the movie in 10 minute increments here on youtube:

Part 1 from a different uploader, it's not as good of quality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KMV-LLUjxo&feature=related

After you watch that one, move over to these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZCER6pjQV4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_FJDqy9mOI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW2jO4TbmJ4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeFoFUEGFC0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VIPXhVbVO0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PqJdbuozIg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM9fygqGSU8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0u-udkanPc&feature=related
(If you wanna just see the parts in the junkyard watch just from here on)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbODk2_tRfE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVbYWbDxQGA&feature=related

Christine offers all of you some words of encouragement in your own Fury restoration projects:
ArtfanMan

Happy Birthday Medal (1) CCC Post Content Award (1) Club Contribution Award (1) CCC Achievment Award! (1)

Postby BigM on March 18th, 2011, 11:28 am

58plym wrote:First of all Ian I can't remember if they were any toasters when I was a kid but you know if that was on TV when I was growing up I would have watched it. I love it. Did you do these drawings. If so it is hard to believe I know somebody with this kind of talent. :D

So Bob, it's true that when you were a kid, you had to heat up two large rocks in the fire and then insert your slice of bread? LMAO! Just kidding!

---John
BigM

Medals: 8
Happy Birthday Medal (1) CCC Post Content Award (1) Club Contribution Award (1) 2009 Fund Raiser Contributor (1)
Better Business Award (1) 5 Star General's Award (1) Aussie Victory Medal (1) Poly 318 (1)

Postby BigM on March 18th, 2011, 11:45 am

Ian,
There are many scrap dealers that could care less about the value, monetary or nostalgia, of an old car, they look at them strictly in terms of weight.
There is a yard in Carson City, Nevada called Little John's junkyard, and if you asked about buying a particular vehicle, he would place it in his crusher just to spite you. He did that to me when I asked about a baby blue '54 Buick he had there.
Another place in Santa Rosa, Ca. acquired the county abatement contract when farms and ranches were being sold to developers fifteen years ago, and they had ten wreckers towing cars into their yard all day long, seven days a week. Many were collector cars that had been parked on these rural properties or outbuildings.
If you happened to be at the tow yard when the wreckers would arrive with a good car on the hook, you could buy them from the manager for $100 no matter what the vehicle was. I probably bought 30 cars from them, all fifties and sixties models. If you left anything there more than one day, though, they would destroy it with a forklift or loader.
Once I pulled in their yard, and right on top of their piles of crushed cars was a '56 Oldsmobile convertible, a '68 Camaro, and a '65 Ford Galaxie hardtop.
They just did not care. They finally lost the county contract due to shady deaklings with other city officials, so those days are gone.
---John
BigM

Happy Birthday Medal (1) CCC Post Content Award (1) Club Contribution Award (1) 2009 Fund Raiser Contributor (1)
Better Business Award (1) 5 Star General's Award (1) Aussie Victory Medal (1) Poly 318 (1)

Postby 58plym on March 18th, 2011, 12:27 pm

BigM wrote:

So Bob, it's true that when you were a kid, you had to heat up two large rocks in the fire and then insert your slice of bread? LMAO! Just kidding!

---John

<roflgif> <roflgif> sean safari inc .gif sean safari inc .gif

58plym

Happy Birthday Medal (1) CCC Post Content Award (1) CCC Member Of the Year 2009 (1) Club Contribution Award (1)
CCC Customization Award (1) 2009 Fund Raiser Contributor (1) Religious Dedication Award (1) CCC Achievment Award! (1)
Darnell Turd Polishers Award (1) Medal Mania Medal (1) Attendance Blowout 2010 (1) Aussie Victory Medal (1)

Postby ArtfanMan on March 18th, 2011, 11:32 pm

BigM wrote:Ian,
They finally lost the county contract due to shady deaklings with other city officials, so those days are gone.
---John

Good, those people were scum. >: ( I'm only sad about all the cars that they managed to kill before they were shut down.

You know what I'd like to start? A chain of 'Vehicular Humane Societies' dedicated to the preservation, restoration, and protection of vehicles new and old who would otherwise become victims to people like above..who's with me?

ArtfanMan

Postby Ben on March 19th, 2011, 4:02 am

ArtfanMan wrote:
BigM wrote:Ian,
They finally lost the county contract due to shady deaklings with other city officials, so those days are gone.
---John

Good, those people were scum. >: ( I'm only sad about all the cars that they managed to kill before they were shut down.

You know what I'd like to start? A chain of 'Vehicular Humane Societies' dedicated to the preservation, restoration, and protection of vehicles new and old who would otherwise become victims to people like above..who's with me?

I´m in! ;)
Sorry for my English, I'm still having problems with grammar sometimes but I'm doing my best.

Sir Ben The Brave

Never surrender

Ben
German Chapter Leader
Knights Order Of The CCC
Knights Order Of The CCC

Happy Birthday Medal (1) CCC Post Content Award (1) Club Contribution Award (1) CCC Customization Award (1)
5 Star General's Award (1) Darnell Turd Polishers Award (1) Attendance Blowout 2010 (1)

Postby Christinefury on March 19th, 2011, 10:32 am

Cool idea, V.H.S.
Christinefury

Postby ArtfanMan on March 19th, 2011, 5:21 pm

Could make the place themed, really play up the 'humane society' bit of it too. Like each car/truck could have its own little walled in cubical/cage with a name and additional info:

Name: Roadster Rick
- used and well maintained
- good with family, high gas milage (31mpg)
- looking for a new caring home in need of a commuting companion

ArtfanMan

Postby Dukeboy on March 20th, 2011, 12:48 am

The trouble with these types is money trumps everything, every time....

Now, the guy that crushes just to PO people? he needs to be put out of business, but for the rest, they simply look at the yard as a business. I once FOLLOWED a tow truck with a 1968 Plymouth Belvedere (Looks like a Roadrunner) hooked to it with the guy sitting in the tow truck, crush it for the money back when scrap was through the roof. It will be again with Japan in the mess they are in so look for plenty of old cars getting crushed for the $200.00 or so dollars they bring in scrap. It's really ironic, as if you think about it, the owners could part out these types of cars on Ebay and quadruple their money, but are simply too lazy to do it. most even refuse to sell to anybody out of spite as well...Like they don't want to see their "pride and joy" fixed up or something??

Anyway, back to the Belvy. I pleaded with the kid to lemme give him FOUR TIMES what he was gonna get in crush to no avail. I watched this car get off loaded into a parking spot for the low, low sum of $75.00 because he refused to remove the fuel tank and wheels. I then watched the greedy eyes of the yards owner become dollar signs. A sign went on the windshield saying $4500.00 OBO...I asked the yard guy to lemme give him 6 times his money and he refused saying he can get his asking price online. Knowing full and well, he haden't even cleaned it up or done ANYTHING to make it worth the extra money, just a flipper..Pissed me off something terrible. About two months later, I get a call from one of my buddies that he had just bought a new "Project" and wanted me to come over and check it out...Yep, it was my Belvy I wanted. I asked how much this baby set him back.....

His reply totally got me going..."$1200.00".....So you see, it was saved, but the greed kept me from getting the car. Most yards are in business to make money and that's fine on 1998 Hondas, but a 1968 Plymouth? ,man that just tore me up....

BTW: Nice drawings Ian! Love these type threads..Very relaxing. Looking back and dreaming of the fate of past cars is something I do every time I go junkyardin'...
Dukeboy

Postby ArtfanMan on March 20th, 2011, 6:09 am

Dukeboy wrote:everything you said

Aw dude, that is so wonderful. About half-way through that story I was sure it was gonna have a sad ending, that I'd been reading about a passer-by's witnessing of some poor car's last day or so. I'm so happy your friend bought and saved it that fate.. but I'm curious, how's it doing now? Does he still have it? Is it running? Also I didn't really follow the last thing you said in the story, how were you greedy? Sounds like the yard owner sold it for a ton less then he originally asked for.. so isn't it him who's being an a$$?

I'm glad you liked these drawings, I though the subject of car-death would probably hit home with you guys.. I'm actually planning on doing my next one focusing on that pink 50s convertible, it's the second car in the song if you watched the video. People are saying she's probably a 1955 Crown Victoria..but the front end doesn't really match that or any other car I've seen, care to give a guess Dukey? But I'm glad you're here, because I had you specifically in mind as a resource for that upcoming picture I'm talking about.

I'll try and keep the 'story' of the picture as secret as I can so that it's fresh when it comes out. But I was wondering, you know your cars better then anyone. Could you tell me what you think a popular girl's sports car would have been in the mid 80s? I really have no idea myself.. and if you can think of multiple cars that's fine too.. I'll take my pick from the batch. :)

ArtfanMan

Postby Dukeboy on March 20th, 2011, 7:41 am

ArtfanMan wrote:
Dukeboy wrote:everything you said

Aw dude, that is so wonderful. About half-way through that story I was sure it was gonna have a sad ending, that I'd been reading about a passer-by's witnessing of some poor car's last day or so. I'm so happy your friend bought and saved it that fate.. but I'm curious, how's it doing now? Does he still have it? Is it running?Flipped it later on(IE: Sold for profit) after he figured out that it wasn't gonna be worth a fortune when done. NOT a RoadRunner. I woulda fixed it up even being a lowly Belvy. Also I didn't really follow the last thing you said in the story, how were you greedy?Not I, the Yard owner refused to sell the car at a given profit. Wasn't good enough to sell for $700.00, he wanted to get greedy and sell for around $4500.00 Sounds like the yard owner sold it for a ton less then he originally asked for.. so isn't it him who's being an a$$?Yep

I'm glad you liked these drawings, I though the subject of car-death would probably hit home with you guys.. I'm actually planning on doing my next one focusing on that pink 50s convertible, it's the second car in the song if you watched the video. People are saying she's probably a 1955 Crown Victoria..but the front end doesn't really match that or any other car I've seen, care to give a guess Dukey? But I'm glad you're here, because I had you specifically in mind as a resource for that upcoming picture I'm talking about.

I'll try and keep the 'story' of the picture as secret as I can so that it's fresh when it comes out. But I was wondering, you know your cars better then anyone. Could you tell me what you think a popular girl's sports car would have been in the mid 80s? Well, the Pontiac Fiero comes to mind, as does the IROC Camaro only because these two girls used to drive these when I was in HSI really have no idea myself.. and if you can think of multiple cars that's fine too.. I'll take my pick from the batch. :)
Dukeboy

Postby ArtfanMan on March 21st, 2011, 12:24 am

Dukeboy wrote:myep...

Wow that was an interesting way to respond, I almost though you just quoted me and then didnt say anything. XD

Those were awesome suggestions, I think I'll use the Camaro.. its more iconic.

ArtfanMan

Postby Dukeboy on March 21st, 2011, 6:44 pm

I usually do it that way when there's many questions in the original Post.

I reply in different color as to show which questions I'm referring/answering....
Dukeboy

Postby ArtfanMan on March 25th, 2011, 9:44 pm

Thanks for that link to the Superbird website Bob. I found this picture, look at the comparison, pretty neat:

ArtfanMan

Postby Christinefury on March 25th, 2011, 11:04 pm

Really does look like the same car except for the movie car only has single headlights and a chrome bumper under the nose.
Christinefury

Postby ArtfanMan on March 26th, 2011, 5:40 pm

Christinefury wrote:Really does look like the same car except for the movie car only has single headlights and a chrome bumper under the nose.

Yeah haha, but those can be easily taken as 'artistic liberty to add a face to the car' details. XD

ArtfanMan

Postby ArtfanMan on June 19th, 2011, 4:10 am

A BIG UPDATE:

Pink 'Pinky' 50's Convertible (Fan spectulated to be: 1955 Crown Victoria)

This one is handled a bit differently then the others. Pinky actually has a small story that's going to be told through several pictures and their discription, so enjoy or not. :)

I just cant- I just can't- I just can't seem to get started
Don't have the heart to live in the fast lane
All that is past and gone

(gonna hold of linking to the vid till the end, for emotional sake I think it'll be better)

Submitted due to popular demand, I bring you the first part of Pinky the Convertible's past. This is at least MY interpretation of what her past may have been like. Unlike the Surfer Woodie and the Superbird who had quite a few lyrics which were quite descriptive as well as following a very stereotypical lifestyle to boot, Pinky has maybe 20-30 seconds of screen time and only a few vague lyrics. The most we learn is that she's unable to start anymore and doesn't or can't muster the heart to live in the fast-lane.

Before going into the picture really, to put my own analysis in here. The whole bit about the fast-lane I believe is due to her being a car from the 50s. Back in the 50s the world was a lot calmer and slower then today. Gas was cheap, cars were made luxuriously, so families would go out and cruise just for the fun of doing so. However these days of course people drive to get things done and go to and from work, its all very time sensitive and hurried. I believe this is what she 'doesn't have the heart' for.

OH, and before I forget, Pinky is fan speculated to be a 1955 Crown Victoria. Like many of the cars from the movie, her appearance doesn't match the real-life car EXACTLY, but it's the closest match I've found:

http://www.loti.com/1955_ford-1.jpg
http://www.cgtn-nd.com/images/Car%20and%20Motorcycle%20Showcase/1955%20Ford%20Crown%20Victoria..Howard%20Partlow.JPG

I had a HARD time trying to find a female 50s singer for a 'in her prime' song for Pinky. So, this song will have to do I think. It's "My oh My" by 'The Wreckers' it's about days gone past and how things change so fast:

http://www.deviantart.com/users/outgoing?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V68Q-UCJ-rA

Now to get to the picture-----

So this was Pinky's family, your average late 50s/early 60s single daughter family. I have to admit, I drew this before fully thinking about my timescale (which is important for later as you'll see) originally this was meant to be definitely in the 50s. However I will go right out and say that this 'memory' is from 1962-63.

The little girl here is Violet, she's only 3 years old here and you'll be following her and Pinky throughout all their associated pictures. Their relationship is very much that of one between a mother and daughter. While Violet of course HAS a mother, Pinky (being relatively new at the time of Violet's birth) was the car who drove her mother to the hospital and back when she was born and has been there watching her grow up. The two of them are best friends and Pinky cares for her like her own er..metal and oil.. it's not uncommon to see the two of them sharing secrets, reading child stories, playing hide and seek.. things like that in the back yard together.

At Violet's young age, she's able to see that Pinky and probably every other appliances is alive. I based this off of what is seen in the crap-tastic sequel to TBLT, "The Brave Little Toaster Goes To Mars" in which the Master 'Rob' and his girlfriend from the first movie have a baby together and the baby knows all the appliances are alive and plays with them: (the best example of it I can find on youtube ><; [link] ) While they don't go into much detail about the aspects of how old a child gets before they 'forget' that they're alive. My personal view is its when you get to be THAT age, you know the one I mean. When you stop believing in fairy tales? When you find out Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny aren't real? When your rational mind begins to take over and you become the bitter jaded person you'll grow old being.

So really the setting here is intended to be both silly but adorable at the same time, I hope I pulled it off. Though it's probably obvious I'll explain anyway. Violet has just came back down to the parking lot with her family after picking up their food. Being the girl's sorta 'imaginary best friend' and effectively second mother.. the sweet little girl offers to share her fries with Pinky. While Pinky obviously can't eat it, she's pleasantly at her kind offering. Meanwhile her parents funnily enough are left wondering what their crazy little girl is doing trying to feed the car french fries. X3

While trying to make a really defined 50's look I wanted to pic a background that encompassed something that truely looked the era. I'd always loved all the heavy use of neon in the old buildings, and I like fast food, so I decided to have this memory be of a nice family outing to Mc Donalds. (XD) While most of the building is hidden behind the bushes, this is the old kind, where you actually walked up to a window outside to make your order. As with all these 'Tales from Ernie's Disposal' pictures I made sure to use reference and do my research on the eras and settings depicted. As proof here's two of my reference material:

http://www.vintagepostcards.org/blog/images/pomona-california-mcdonalds-roadside.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4018/4421710334_23e79d2217.jpg

Lastly, I'm not incredibly happy with how this came out. I actually erased the 'paper' texture from the lineart. I felt it made the colors too dark and kinda took the cheeriness out of the scene. However in hindsight I notice that without the graininess of the paper texture the picture looks a little flat. ^^; I'll try to avoid making that mistake in the future.

Pinky Memories:

"When I'm gone, I hope you'll see, how happy she made me. For I'll be there, in my daughter's eyes"

This is something I put together as a kind of build up to my main pictures. Heh the more I think about it I bet the other cars I've done are gonna get jealous of Pinky for getting so much more 'screen' time. XD

So I'll lay it all out here. I know you guys haven't seen anything to prove what I'm claiming. But believe me, I think the story I've made for Pinky really has the makings for some deep emotional heart-string tugs later on when we start to see her decline. Lets face it, that's the goal of every artist, to make people feel something and get their vision seen by the masses.

However I wanted to make sure you guys could get the chance to get some emotional attachment to Pinky and Violet and the mother/daughter relationship they have. Since my main 'big' drawings can only show one small moment per drawing I didn't think they'd alone convey enough. So here I'm showing kind of a scrap-book gallery of I suppose you could say Pinky's memories?

This picture also has it's own song as well, as with the tradition which this series. I'm dumping the attempt at finding songs that both have the story I want in them AND have a singer that sounds like the car. It's simply too impossible for me to hunt down that specific of a song. So now I'm merely going by gender.

This song is pretty dang well known, and many of you probably already know it by the caption at the top. Though I'm counting on our non-USA watchers to be less familiar with it. It's called "In My Daughter's Eyes" by Martina McBride, a beautiful song and very fitting of how Pinky feels about Violet. I STRONGLY suggest you give it a listen, it'll enhance the drawing's emotions a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2y6S8CwPJA&feature=related <------ !!!

--(Descriptions of the panels for those interested)--

Top-Left: (1960) We see Violet's parents leaving the hospital, her mother still looking rather ragged from the trauma of child birth. Look at dad, heh.. so proud. XD Oh poor mother, she goes to all the trouble of birthing Violet and the CAR ends up getting all the screen-time. X3 We also see Pinky's first glimpse at baby Violet, though she probably still hasn't seen her at this point due to the angle.. so she's still kinda confused about what's been going on.

Bottom-Left: (1960-61) Baby Violet, already fascinated in Pinky. She seems to be poking her grille.. XD Pinky it seems took to the girl instantly. I'd say Violet is still mere months old, though she looks more like maybe 1 year old so you be the judge there.

Bottom-Right: (1963 - present day - Mc Donald's pic) The bottom one was fun to do, done from reference of a real 55' Crown Vic interior. I thought you guys might like to see what she looked like inside. :) I'm sure you've seen little kids playing inside cars, pretending their driving and stuff? The one above I actually said to someone in response to the Mc Donald's pic. I said in the artist comments Pinky and Violet would play, among other things, hide and seek. Though haha.. understandably Violet would always be the one to do the hiding. X3

Top-Right: (1964) A last very sweet two-panel scene to cement the emotions of the others hadn't. Now I understand some of you guys might have a hard time accepting this kind of relationship happening, but remember.. it's based off of a fictional universe. At it's base, its totally innocent and precious. Pinky loves Violet like she was her own, and Violet loves Pinky like a second mother and her best best best secret friend. : )

But also remember, I'm sure I don't need to remind you of course. As happy as these memories are, they are bittersweet when taken into context with what we know eventually happens to Pinky 25 years after this. After her stay at Ernie's she'll be reduced to the size of maybe one of baby Violet's building blocks... to put it in harsh perspective. <: (

But let's try to not think about that right now...

References used:
http://fineartamerica.com/featured/1955-ford-crown-victoria-interior-jill-reger.html
http://ny-image0.etsy.com/il_570xN.215890016.jpg

Violet & Parents (c) me
Pinky Convertible (c) Brave Little Toaster

Violet's Storytime

"-Ooh, and THEN the big bad wolf went to the door of the LAST piggy's house and said "I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll BLOW your house down!"

"w-what happened next? huh?"

-------------------------------------------

Whow! It's finally done! :la:

Man I haven't worked this hard and long on a picture in a long time haha, and while it isn't perfect it's close enough to my vision. The picture I had in my head for this was so beautiful that I had to at least ATTEMPT to create it.

I envisioned one of those perfect warm, light breezy, sunny days. The ones that everyone thinks about when they're depressed and wished they were back in time or somewhere else. The perfect mood for a memory in my opinion.

I'll stop the artist ramblings for a moment to state the obvious setting. Here we see Pinky and Violet yet again, this time during story time. Violet would frequently nestle herself against Pinky's shiny chromed bumper and open her big ol' book of fairy tales. Sometimes she'd try and read them herself, but Violet always loved it the most when Pinky read to her. Pinky loved it just as much, always putting her 100% effort into it and having fun with it, making funny voices and faces while readying to make Violet laugh. :) On this particular summer afternoon, it looks as if Violet might be about ready for a nap during the story.

This marks the first time I've ever shown any of the house I drew up for their family. I actually have the whole house drawn out, maybe I'll put it in scraps before using it in my next picture.

In order to get the right summer-time atmosphere, everything in bloom and alive looking. I had to try new shadowing I've never done before, that'd be the shadows of tree leaves from the hedge beside the driveway. It was really hard to get looking right and I'm still not sure if I did or not.. you guys let me know. But I think the scene does still look beautiful and loving, and I'm happy with how it came out. :) I'm especially happy with how Violet came out, she looks simply adorable AND anatomically correct. My mother thinks Pinky's eyes look weird, I was trying to explain the reasoning why I drew them like that.

The way I see it, as a car, Pinky's eyes are so far apart that if she tried to look at one page with both eyes, she'd only be at the angle to see one page with one eye at a time. I hope that makes sense in words. So she kinda has to squint her left eye to focus out her right to see the left page. If you don't like that explanation, you could also say she's just being silly and maybe making a funny voice while she's reading. ^_^

Now for the selected song for the picture. Well, the song itself isn't exactly related to the picture really but she does use a soft-soothing tone of voice in this song which you could imagine how it would have sounded to hear her reading those fairy-tales. <:) But I'm proud to announce the singer who I've officially chosen to be Pinky's voice: Lee Ann Womack. She doesn't sound EXACTLY like Pinky, missing the strong 'southern-bell' twang to her voice, but it's really close.

The song for this picture is called "Worth Leaving Behind" and it's about how loving someone, especially a child, will help your memory go on even after you're gone... it's fitting I think. I particularly feel a heart-tug at the line "it's kinda like Elvis, ya die to be famous" since Pinky only became semi-famous in the movie FOR dying. : / But it really is a beautiful song, notice how the songs keep getting a sadder and sadder tone as we go along.. that's intentional ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqTT59h9aLg

Pinky's final swan song is another Lee Ann Womack song, can any of you guess which it is?

-TO BE CONTINUED-

ArtfanMan

Postby BigM on June 19th, 2011, 12:12 pm

YOU, my friend, are VERY talented!

Thanks for continuing this series!!

---John
BigM

Postby 58plym on June 19th, 2011, 1:18 pm

You got that right John Ian is one talented dude. <sgtscroggins>

58plym

Postby Ben on June 19th, 2011, 3:18 pm

BigM wrote:YOU, my friend, are VERY talented!

Thanks for continuing this series!!

---John

I second that!

Sir Ben The Brave

Never surrender

Ben
German Chapter Leader
Knights Order Of The CCC
Knights Order Of The CCC

Postby Christinefury on June 19th, 2011, 4:27 pm

Excellent, Great Work Again.
Christinefury

Next

Return to Off Topic Section