Headlight Switches

The place for everything electrical. Tune-ups,electronic ignition conversions,wiring etc.

Headlight Switches

Postby Jason on January 24th, 2011, 6:17 am

Hi Guys n Gals!!

My headlights stopped working in the 57 the other day..........In the middle of the night too........
And I was checking all the wires and lights. The interior lights and stop lights still work and
the headlights themselves still burn but im Not getting power to the headlight when the switch turned
on. After referring to the manual it says that the circuit breaker in the switch may be faulty. Does anyone know
if the breaker can be replaced or do I have to replace the whole switch?? Or has anyone ever rebuilt their switches???
Thanks for all your help

Jase
"You know I've stopped drinking..Yeah thats right, I freeze it now and eat it like a popsickle!!" Dean Martin
Jason
Elite Golden Commando CCC Member

Medals: 9
Happy Birthday Medal (1) CCC Post Content Award (1) Crem De La Crem Award (1) Club Contribution Award (1)
CCC Perseverence Award (1) CCC Achievment Award! (1) 5 Star General's Award (1) Darnell Turd Polishers Award (1)
Poly 301 (1)

Re: Headlight Switches

Postby Evilstretch on January 24th, 2011, 6:32 am

First thing I thought of was Running on Empty ... the blind guy in the Chevy. Seeing as your Plymouth is a Chevy in South Oz steve evilstretch.gif
Sorry I can't help ya brother but there's a good idea for another thread [a_goodjobson.gif]

If it’s an ambulance,
You’ve got a chance.
But if it’s a hearse,
It’s gotta be worse.

^^______________
_ /_Y________||___\_______
\___@________|____|___@_|
Aussie Slang Translations

Sir Steve The Stouthearted
Sixth Knight of the CCC.
Evilstretch
Aussie Chapter Leader
Knights Order Of The CCC
Knights Order Of The CCC

Highscores: 13
Medals: 6
Happy Birthday Medal (1) CCC Post Content Award (1) Club Contribution Award (1) Religious Dedication Award (1)
CCC Achievment Award! (1) 5 Star General's Award (1)

Postby Car_Junky2000 on January 24th, 2011, 6:50 am

Jason did your car survive the egging OK?

Christina The Kind
Shield Maiden Of The CCC

Never drive faster then your Guardian Angel can fly.
Car_Junky2000
Knights Order Of The CCC
Knights Order Of The CCC

Highscores: 1
Medals: 10
CCC Post Content Award (1) Club Contribution Award (1) CCC Customization Award (1) 2009 Fund Raiser Contributor (1)
CCC Perseverence Award (1) 5 Star General's Award (1) Attendance Blowout 2010 (1) CCC Member Of The Year 2010 (1)
Aussie Victory Medal (1) Big Block (1)

Postby Jason on January 24th, 2011, 7:43 am

Evilstretch wrote:First thing I thought of was Running on Empty ... the blind guy in the Chevy. Seeing as your Plymouth is a Chevy in South Oz steve evilstretch.gif
Sorry I can't help ya brother but there's a good idea for another thread [a_goodjobson.gif]

I was croozin down the Bay last week Stretch and this kid points to the car and says to his dad " Wow dad look at that MUSTANG"!!
Bettsie's been called CADILLAC, PONTIAC which aint to bad.....Chevy, I Shudder but its still ok , But MUSTANG???? WTF!!!
"You know I've stopped drinking..Yeah thats right, I freeze it now and eat it like a popsickle!!" Dean Martin
Jason

Happy Birthday Medal (1) CCC Post Content Award (1) Crem De La Crem Award (1) Club Contribution Award (1)
CCC Perseverence Award (1) CCC Achievment Award! (1) 5 Star General's Award (1) Darnell Turd Polishers Award (1)
Poly 301 (1)

Postby Jason on January 24th, 2011, 7:47 am

Car_Junky2000 wrote:Jason did your car survive the egging OK?

Yes she did thanks Chrissy.........I washed her straight away and polished her when I got her home.........Luckily the egg didnt stain the paint
or scratch it but my friends NEW YORKER had like a thumb print stain on the roof that he must've missed. I tried to polish it out for him but it stained the paint real quick. It would have been great if I found them.......I would have slapped them silly in front of the whole crowd then let the Hot Rodders
get em after I finished.
Jason

Poly 301 (1)

Postby Evilstretch on January 24th, 2011, 7:57 am

Jason wrote:I was croozin down the Bay last week Stretch and this kid points to the car and says to his dad " Wow dad look at that MUSTANG"!!
Bettsie's been called CADILLAC, PONTIAC which aint to bad.....Chevy, I Shudder but its still ok , But MUSTANG???? WTF!!!

Jase did they have the labrador with them hmmm.gif I can understand a blind person making that mistake occasionally.

steve evilstretch.gif Now you officially have the most evilest Pony in South Oz steve evilstretch.gif

If it’s an ambulance,
You’ve got a chance.
But if it’s a hearse,
It’s gotta be worse.

^^______________
_ /_Y________||___\_______
\___@________|____|___@_|
Aussie Slang Translations

Sir Steve The Stouthearted
Sixth Knight of the CCC.
Evilstretch
Aussie Chapter Leader
Knights Order Of The CCC
Knights Order Of The CCC

Highscores: 13
Medals: 6
Happy Birthday Medal (1) CCC Post Content Award (1) Club Contribution Award (1) Religious Dedication Award (1)
CCC Achievment Award! (1) 5 Star General's Award (1)

Postby BigM on January 24th, 2011, 12:40 pm

Jase, I believe the breaker is integral, and not a serviceable part. Check to be sure you do not have a short circuit in the headlight system, causing the breaker to remain open.

---John
BigM

Medals: 8
Happy Birthday Medal (1) CCC Post Content Award (1) Club Contribution Award (1) 2009 Fund Raiser Contributor (1)
Better Business Award (1) 5 Star General's Award (1) Aussie Victory Medal (1) Poly 318 (1)

Postby Jason on January 25th, 2011, 7:13 pm

Thanks John.............Will check all the wiring at the back of the switch today. Is this circuit breaker like an overload switch that will come back on if overloaded or like a fuse that when it blows its blown for good??
Jason

Poly 301 (1)

Postby Jason on January 26th, 2011, 1:24 am

Ok so here what I found..........

Spent all morning under the dash lokking at wires and making sure they were all plugged in. All good. Power to the switch and everything. but still no power to the headlights themselves.......took the headlights out again and they work directly to the battery so globes are good...........took the headlight switch out and pulled the whole thing apart to check the contacts........cleaned all the brass switches and fittings (let me tell ya theres heaps of em here!!) then lubed it up and put it back together.....all good. (switch has good contenuity now) put the switch and wires back and tested ........ still nuthin. By now I was gettin real angry!!!! I walked away from the car and went and sat in my shed lookin at the front of my car thinking nuthin ever gets the better of me and tryin to think of what it could be.............and thats when i saw it...................a lone wire and plug hangin on the ground...............I thought "No way!" the wire for the high beam switch had somehow worked loose and come off the plug opening the headlight circuit. I plugged it back in and guess what.....They worked!!!

So my friends if your headlighs stop working...........check this first before anything else.............its always the simplest thing that goes wrong to make your life hell!!!!!
Jason

Poly 301 (1)

Postby Dukeboy on January 26th, 2011, 6:39 am

And I was just about to suggest the "Dimmer" switch just went bad and try clicking it from bright to dim a few times to see what happens...

Good on 'ya Jase and thanks for posting...
Dukeboy

Postby BigM on January 26th, 2011, 11:51 am

Glad you got it figured, Jase! Also, a cheap and easy fix too.

---John
BigM

Medals: 8
Happy Birthday Medal (1) CCC Post Content Award (1) Club Contribution Award (1) 2009 Fund Raiser Contributor (1)
Better Business Award (1) 5 Star General's Award (1) Aussie Victory Medal (1) Poly 318 (1)

Postby Bloodhound1958 on April 28th, 2011, 7:21 pm

Amazing. My father once told me that the simplest solution tends to be the correct solution 99% of the time! :)
Bloodhound1958
Founder/Webmaster/Administrator
Founder/Webmaster/Administrator

Highscores: 3
Medals: 10
Club Contribution Award (1) 2009 Fund Raiser Contributor (1) CCC Perseverence Award (1) CCC Achievment Award! (1)
5 Star General's Award (1) Liberator Of The CCC 2008 (1) Attendance Blowout 2010 (1) Aussie Victory Medal (1)
Big Block (1) Royal Order Of The CCC (1)

Return to Battery & Electrical